Our Local History
WG&R Furniture first opened its doors with the slogan “A mile from downtown, ’tis true, but a mile from high prices too!” The original owners (Henry Wagnitz, Paul Greene, Carl Greene and Henry Rupp) founded the company on one core principle; we take care of our customers. While styles have changed over the years, WG&R has shown innovative ways to consistently deliver on this principle with more stores, better-valued products, Factory-Direct mattresses and customer service like no other.
1946 We first opened our doors on Main Street in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
1955 The Greene family bought out the other partners and continued the young company’s tradition of excellent customer service, great value and personal attention that became the foundation for future growth and success.
1963 WG&R opened in Oshkosh, along with a 45,000 square foot warehouse in Green Bay to better service our customers and pave the way for expansion.
1972 We expanded to Manitowoc and relocated our Oshkosh store, continuing our efforts to better serve Northeast Wisconsin.
1984 Answering customer demand for value-priced, quality mattresses, the WG&R Mattress Factory was born in Two Rivers, WI.
1989 WG&R opened a new store in Appleton and we moved our corporate office and warehouse to a new facility in Green Bay.
1992 We moved our Green Bay store from its long time Main St. location to our current Hansen Rd. location. During the mid 90s we also opened new stores in Manitowoc and Oshkosh.
2002 WG&R Sheboygan opened.
2006 WG&R Sleep Shop, a mattress specialty store, opened within all WG&R Furniture locations as well as stand alone locations in Green Bay and Fond du Lac.
2007 WG&R Fond du Lac opened.
2011 August Haven opened at our WG&R Green Bay location boasting the area’s most unique collection of urban contemporary, vintage and antique home furnishings.
2018 WG&R moved its Appleton location to a brand-new, state-of-the-art shopping center named Center Valley, which also features August Haven’s second showroom.
2021 WG&R Furniture Co. becomes employee owned after three generations of family ownership, ensuring the legacy of the company’s locally owned, customer-first focus continues.