Nothing anchors a space or pulls an entire room together quite like a great area rug. But how do you choose? We’re here to help with a handy rug shopping guide so you can get it right the first time.
If you’re starting from scratch, start with finding the right rug first to avoid considerably limiting your options. If you’re working with an existing space, read on!
Rug Shopping Guide
- If your space has neutral colors, clean lines, and minimal patterns, go ahead and be bold with your rug choice. If your room already has a lot of color, texture, or pattern, stay neutral when choosing a rug.
- Consider the rug’s placement and purpose. Is it in the middle of a high traffic area? Do you have pets or kids? A rug that works in one room may not work in another. Thick, plush options create a cozy feeling that’s perfect for bedrooms or living rooms, while flatweave or darker options are better for entryways and kitchens.
- When in doubt, go bigger. For example, the two front legs of each piece of living room seating should fit on the rug comfortably, while your dining set should fit completely on the rug with room to pull out the chairs without falling off the rug.
- If your rug is in a high-traffic area and doesn’t have a backing, be sure to purchase a rug pad. It not only protects the rug from slipping as it’s walked on, but it also provides extra cushioning for you and your family.
- Don’t settle for almost-perfect. Our extensive selection of rugs can often be custom ordered in special sizing if you aren’t finding the exact size you need. Just ask one of our sales associates!